Moulton Lava

Moultonic Musings

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Deadly Psychodrama

A Google News search on 'Pellet Gun' turns up multiple stories around the country similar to the tragedy in Florida where someone brandished a pellet gun and came close to being shot by nervous authorities.

In other cases, the person with the pellet gun was arrested or suspended from school. These guns are evidently designed to resemble real models. The classmate who wrestled with the Florida kid said he realized it was a plastic gun when he briefly grabbed hold of it during their scuffle. He and others told the authorities it was a plastic toy gun.

Some of these toy guns are manufactured with funky plastic colors, but it's easy enough to paint them black with the same paint used to decorate hobbyist craft models. The kid in Florida had painted his plastic pellet gun black to make it look real. When he brandished it in the classroom, he turned off the lights. It was pure theater.

Some of the kids quickly figured out it was theater, but not the adults.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave Kennedy said...

Okay, I was testing the links in my own blog post when I realized that my very own URL was incorrect. I thought "Dang...better fix that before Moulton sees it". So I go to my blog, and guess what the comment said? Yeah... I was too late.

So I thought 'Okay... I really look like an idiot here. What can I do? I know, let's see if Moulton made any mistakes!'

The only thing I could come up with was that I think you said 'use' instead of 'used' in the sentence "but it's easy enough to paint them black with the same paint use to decorate hobbyist craft models."

Yeah, so that was the best I could do. I tried to get ya, but use vs used is migitized by my boo-boos.

Anyway, thanks for catching me. It is actually much appreciated.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Moulton said...

Thanks for spotting that typo, Dave.

I've fixed it.

6:50 PM  
Blogger torporindy said...

Writer's block?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Moulton said...

Not really. I've been posting on another blog, and doing some arcane technical work that isn't worth writing up.

1:07 PM  
Blogger torporindy said...

Wow, that's quite a lineup for your other blog. Where did you get so many contributors?

1:52 AM  
Blogger Moulton said...

They are journalism students taking a course in Media Ethics from a colleague of mine who teaches the course.

I participate in several online courses that involve various aspects of Online Journalism.

This year, the students have added the Blogosphere to their repertoire of online media.

Previously, we have done work with the university's award-winning website newspaper, web discussion forums, audio webcasting, and other obscure methods of online correspondence.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home