Moulton Lava

Moultonic Musings

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Moulton and Abd Discuss Epistemological Methods



Moulton: Abd, do you have a method for testing your beliefs for accuracy?

Abd: Yes. I express them and observe how they are understood and analyzed by others. I listen to the responses, and check them for accuracy.

Moulton: I see. And how, pray tell, do you check the accuracy of information gleaned in the responses?

Abd: I keep them in mind and later repeat them and observe how they are understood and analyzed by others. I listen to the responses, and check them for accuracy.

Moulton: I see. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Abd: It works for me.

Moulton: In the last four months, you have submitted mountains of such material to me on my blog, on my Wikiversity talk page, and elsewhere in dozens of talk page discussions. What have you learned in all that time?

Abd: I'm not sufficiently interested in being "educated" by you, Moulton. Too much wasted time, already.

Moulton: In that case, I expect it would be more efficient for both of us if you did not submit to me mountains of your material to be reviewed, analyzed, or critiqued.

Abd: I did not ask you to review any of that material.

Moulton: True enough. I reviewed it for you out of the goodness of my heart. Still, I can't help but wonder where you are coming from.

Abd: My position is one of trust that there is an ultimate reality, not that I know it, nor even that I could comprehensively know it.

Moulton: But I'm perplexed as to why you chose me to submit your mountains of material to, given that you're not particularly interested in learning anything in the process.

Abd: Because you do not have the qualifications or credentials or competence.

Moulton: Then you are welcome to remain ignorant.

Abd: That's my plan.

Moulton: That works for me.

Abd: Never mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Moulton said...

Original Source: An Imaginary Dialogue

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home