Moulton Lava

Moultonic Musings

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States

Friday, December 28, 2012

C&C


In military jargon, C&C stands for Command and Control. It's a characteristic feature of hierarchical organizations, including governments and corporations, where power flows from the top down.

Command and Control is the antithesis of the kind of organizational culture which people like me thrive in. I prefer the other kind of C&C -- Collegiality and Congeniality.

Three times in my career, I have lived through a jarring culture change in which an organization I was associated with underwent change from my kind of C&C (Collegiality and Congeniality) to the opposite kind (Command and Control).

I do not function well in a Command and Control culture. It stifles my ability to contribute in a creative and innovative way to solve systemic problems.

Twenty-five years ago, I was briefly employed by a Federally-Funded Research and Development Center which did some work for the US government. The division that hired me was called CCCI, which stood for Command, Control, Communication, and Intelligence -- a fancier version of the original military culture of Command and Control. What I longed for was a completely different kind of CCCI -- one that valued Cognition, Comprehension, Consciousness, and Insight.

And now, once again, I long for a return to my kind of C&C -- the culture of collegiality and congeniality in which an otherwise hopeless academic can thrive in a culture that values creativity and innovation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Auggie said...

Command and Control might make sense on an early 20th century battlefield, but what baffles me is the number of people who apply it in situations where it has never proven itself particularly useful, e.g. education, family life, research, sales, manufacturing, business, government, etc. In many ways we are still living with the sad consequences of the militarization of our culture that happened during World War I, and are disadvantaged compared to those parts of the world where this has not occurred and individuals are not enslaved to time clocks, reports, and hierarchical decision making structures. There has been so much potential wasted.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Moulton said...

Well said, Auggie.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home